Real Estate Pro Articles
   
   

Keep your Home safe from Carbon Monoxide



[Valid RSS feed]  Category Rss Feed - http://www.realestateproarticles.com/rss.php?rss=276
By : Sonia Smith    99 or more times read
Carbon monoxide poisoning happens mostly during the cold winter months. Carbon Monoxide, also known as CO is an odorless an colorless chemical that is produced through the eruption in your stove, dryer, water heater, furnace, fireplace, space heaters, barbecue grills and generators.

A small concentration of 10 parts per million or PPM can trigger nausea, headache and dizziness. A concentration of 400-PPM can kill you or anybody in the home in less than a few hours. This poisoning has continued to rise in the last ten years.

For your family, it is of vital importance that you take all precautionary measures in preventing a CO disaster from occurring in your home.

  1. If you think your home needs a carbon monoxide detector, then you should invest in one. Purchase a product that is listed by an independent testing laboratory. Install the CO detector near the bedrooms. Nevertheless, you should not install it near the fuel-burning appliances because this could trigger false alarms.

  2. Make sure that every fuel-fired appliances should be checked each year. Everything should always be vented out and do not vent a gas dryer into the home so you can save on the costs of heating.

  3. Refrain from heating your home using gas stoves or oven. Running burner for long periods can bring enough amount of carbon monoxide indoors and can cause respiratory diseases.

  4. Avoid using a portable generator inside your home or the attic, crawl space, garage or any other closed building. Put it away from an opening like a vent or attic that could draw carbon monoxide into the spaces.

  5. Do not warm your car in an enclosed or attached garage even if the door is left open. An amount of carbon monoxide will be drawn towards the living space through the vent systems and doorways, especially during winter.

  6. Make sure that the chimneys and flues are maintained regularly. The carbon monoxide that is supposed to go out of the chimney can get inside the house if you do not practice regular maintenance.

  7. Do not use a charcoal grill inside your house. The amount of carbon monoxide emitted by a charcoal grill is very high.

  8. Find out from your local building and fire code to find information about fire codes for your wood stove. Contact a local fire marshall or any other person in charged of fire protection, inquire if the unit you have in your home should be inspected personally, and find out the codes in your place.

  9. Just as you do, the chimney also needs oxygen for breathing. Opening a damper creates a draft that goes up into the chimney. This will give your fireplace air to be able to burn more effectively. Additionally, this will provide ventilation for both carbon monoxide and smoke.

Bear in mind that your home should be a safety place at all times. By ensuring that your home is safe from carbon monoxide, you will be protecting the lives of your loved ones.
Discover high quality homes in New Property in Fort Worth, great bargains in homes found in Frisco Affordable Property and high-quality homes can be yours in New Real Estate in Garland.

Related Articles



Actions
Print This Article
Add To Favorites



Sponsors


Warning: include(): http:// wrapper is disabled in the server configuration by allow_url_include=0 in /home/onlineb1/public_html/realestateproarticles/inc/extra_rlinks.inc.php on line 149

Warning: include(http://www.realestateproarticles.com/catads/cat276.php): failed to open stream: no suitable wrapper could be found in /home/onlineb1/public_html/realestateproarticles/inc/extra_rlinks.inc.php on line 149

Warning: include(): Failed opening 'http://www.realestateproarticles.com/catads/cat276.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/php56/pear') in /home/onlineb1/public_html/realestateproarticles/inc/extra_rlinks.inc.php on line 149
 

 

© All rights reserved to Real Estate Pro Articles