Real Estate Pro Articles

Field and House Inspectors Indicted by Pitkin Grand Jury

[Valid RSS feed]  Category Rss Feed -
By : John Cutts    99 or more times read
A grand jury from Pitkin County has indicted two building and house inspectors and a plumbing and heating company owner for the death of a family in Aspen. The Lofgren family, with husband and wife Parker and Caroline, along with their children Sophie and Owen, reportedly died from carbon monoxide poisoning caused by a faulty water system that caused gas to leak into the house.

Erik Peltonen, a building inspector, was indicted along with building examiner and Pitkin County field inspector Brian Pawl. Marlin Brown, who owns the company that installed the pipes and boilers at the Lofgren home, was also indicted. Brown, owner of the Roaring Fork Plumbing and Heating, and Peltonen were indicted for negligent homicide. They were issued arrest warrants but were released after providing bonds worth $11,000 each.

The two men were also indicted on a misdemeanor charge of reckless endangerment. Both the homicide and misdemeanor indictments are for four counts, one for each member of the Lofgren family. Meanwhile, field inspector and building examiner Pawl was indicted on four counts of misdemeanor, but is not facing any charge for felony.

The indictments for the building and house inspectors and the Roaring Fork owner were delivered by a jury comprised of 12 regular members and two alternative jurors. The charges of homicide have presumptive prison sentences that start at one year and can reach up to three years. The defendants are set to be at the Pitkin County District Court on August 16 for their initial appearance.

Reports on the incident claimed that the Lofgrens' residence did not have a detector for carbon monoxide. The office of the Pitkin County Sheriff also conducted an investigation which allegedly found that a faulty system for hot water is the main cause of gas leaking inside the family's home.

The incident involving the Lofgren family, along with another similar occurrence, this time involving a Denver college student, resulted in the establishment of House Bill 1091. Under the bill, houses in Colorado are required to have detection systems for carbon monoxide. The indictment has also put more emphasis on the level of responsibilities facing house inspectors and the accountability that they need to face when working on residences in the state.
John Cutts has been educated in the finer points of the foreclosure market over 5 years.

Related Articles

Print This Article
Add To Favorites




© All rights reserved to Real Estate Pro Articles