Real Estate Pro Articles

Gas and Electrical Safety Assistance

[Valid RSS feed]  Category Rss Feed -
By : Kevin Portman    99 or more times read
Being a landlord you will have a legal obligation to guarantee that the property you let is safe for the tenants to live in. Generally speaking, gas and electrical systems and devices present the top risk of injury. It is necessary you make sure that these systems are not dangerous.

Gas Installation
It is advisable to ensure that each of the fittings and flues are cared for properly as well as in a safe condition. Which means you should have gas installations and appliances serviced every 12 months and also you should keep a documentation of this service.

You should have a gas safety check carried out on all gas appliances and flues yearly. A Gas safety certificate is a legal requirement.

Ideally, check gas installations and appliances directly before the beginning of any new tenancy, regardless of whether the gas safety certificate is still existing. Your managing agent should do this for you.

Only a Gas Safe registered plumber or central heating engineer is qualified to repair or certificate anything attached to the gas system. For example, dealing with boilers, flues or cookers. I actually live in London so I always look for a company by searching the internet. Make certain that you keep a record of each safety check for 2 years. Your Gas Safe engineer will issue this certificate. Also you must be sure to give a copy with the Gas Safe engineer’s safety check report and certificate to your tenants.

The statutory regulations are: Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998. These regulations are enforced by the Health and Safety Executive.

Electrical Installation
Whilst there isn't any obligation by law to get the fixed wire electrical system checked for safety, it really is excellent practice and often a condition by a great property management agency, to supply a Periodic Inspection Report. If the system is safe as well as in good condition it can have a Satisfactory Inspection listed in the PIR document. A check every 5 years is normally deemed acceptable.

All properties built since June 1992 are bound by building regulations to have inter-connected, mains operated smoke alarms installed on every level of the property. In older homes this isn’t a necessity.

Nevertheless, landlords are well recommended to provide a minimum of battery operated smoke alarms as a duty of care. If you ever fit battery-operated smoke alarms unfortunately, it will be the landlord’s responsibility to test them regularly and for the batteries to be changed on a regular basis. This makes fitting a mains operated smoke alarm look more attractive and price efficient in the long term.

The Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 1994 as well as the Plugs and Sockets (Safety) Regulations 1994 stipulate that all electrical equipment in tenanted residential properties have to be safe. E.g. Kettles, cookers, microwaves, televisions and washing machines. Technically a PAT (Portable Appliance Testing) procedure must be applied. This is a test for every appliance to ensure it is safe. A sticker with the pass date is stuck onto it and a record kept.

For landlords with numerous properties this is time consuming and costly. Ideally keep the amount of electrical equipment you supply to the tenant at a complete minimum.

Related Articles

Print This Article
Add To Favorites




© All rights reserved to Real Estate Pro Articles