Choosing a Builder for Your Home Addition- By: Sonia Smith
Your home is one of the most precious investments in your life. It is a place where you raise your kids, entertain friends and relax after a hard day at work.
As your family grows and the needs of your family grows, the best decision is not to move to a different home but to stay and make a home addition or do a home renovation. As soon as you have the money to make a home addition, it will be time to choose a builder to build the extension that you have in mind.
Naturally, you would want to find the best builder to help you with your project. As you compare each potential builder from another, here are some factors you should consider:
- Ask references from family, friends or colleagues. They know you better, thus will be able to guide you to the right builder than could meet your needs. They will be able to refer you to some builders who have helped them make the same projects in the past.
- Take time to meet and choose at least three builders to be able to make your comparison. When meeting with your prospective builders, make sure to have a preset list of questions and information such as architectural drawings and costs before work begins, provide you with a review of the extent or work you required and choice of materials like appliances, cabinets and lighting and provide you with a list of preferred vendors to choose from.
- Make sure that the builder is familiar with local laws. Although you will be building on private property, your home addition should conform to ordinances and laws in your area. Ensure that the builder knows all about inspections and permits that you need.
- Ensure that the builder of your choice has a good reputation. Depending on the situation, you might want to check out similar home additions built by the builder and be able to determine if they will be able to build your home addition with a reasonable amount of craftsmanship.
- Upon receiving an estimate from a contractor or builder, it is not always easy to find out if the budget is accurate. Instead of taking chances, try to call up and get prices for various supplies from several sources. Although contractors will be able to get big discounts, you should not assume automatically that a lower bid would result from these discounts. If you find that other estimates are higher, you may want to consider doing further research before you commit.
There is no doubt that building a home addition is a very exciting and fulfilling task. Nevertheless, if you do not pay attention to particular details when it comes to hiring a builder, you could end up becoming very disappointed with the results.
The key to hiring the right builder for your home addition is to ask relevant questions that allow you to get to know the builder better. A good builder will make sure that you get your home addition built to your utmost satisfaction and get it finished on time.
Article Source :
Author Resource :
Stay fit in homes with fitness facilities in Phoenix Gated Rental Homes with Fitness Facilities, enjoy pet friendly homes in East Valley Pet-Friendly Homes for Rent and lead a sustainable lifestyle in East Valley Green Rental Properties.